One of Copenhagen’s finest art museums, the Ordrupgaard is located near Dyrehaven Park. When it was built in 1918, it was designed as a stately country estate that will feature some of the best collections of 19th and 20th century Danish and French art that can be found in Northern Europe. It was founded by Willem and Henny Hansen but was left to the Danish State which now runs and oversees the estate. In 2005 a new extension was built that added a new dimension to the museum.
Designed by world-famous architect Zaha Hadid, the snail-shaped building is made of glass and black lava and successfully blends with the Old World feel of the original neo-classical museum. Another addition to the landscape is the residence of the furniture designed Finn Juhl which is also now being used as an extension of the art museum. The museum has two permanent collections. First is the French Fine Arts Collection, borne out of Hansen’s intention to bring 19th century French Art to the consciousness of the Danes. His first acquisitions were works of impressionists such as Claude Monet and Auguste Renoir.
Through the years the collection has grown and now includes works of other French artists such as Eugene Delacroix, Paul Gauguin, Edouard Manet among others. The second impressive collection is the Danish Fine Arts represented by works from artists such as Christen Koble, Wilhelm Marstrand, Johan Thomas Lundbye, along with contemporary artists like L.A. Ring and Theodor Philipsen to name a few. Also on display are furniture and handicrafts from the 19th and 20th centuries.